I have been attending a photography class for the past month. While I can't say that I have become a "photographer" (yet), I am excited to report that I now know how to use the settings on my camera and I don't shoot on Auto (which I hate using because the flash always goes off. I HATE that).
I have been having LOTS of fun!!!!
Our assignment for last week was something red, this is what I came up with.

I had a lot of fun ideas, but time only allowed me to take pictures of the boring berries in my front yard. We did have a day of snow which allowed me o experiment with different lighting.
Sarah insisted that I take a picture of her red sock. (she knew all week that my assignment was red. We were at the store one day and she saw a red design on the floor so she layed on the dirty floor and said, "mommy, take a picture of me, I'm on red." I didn't have my camera, darn!)
Does this move you?????
_Page000.jpg)
Each week the instructor judges our photos. Keep in mind, this man speaks his mind. He has been known to tell people their photos are garbage. This week, mine was deemed stupid! The red umbrella one made it to the pile and he said to get it out because it was stupid and didn't move him. He chooses a picture because it brings him in or moves him. Well, I admit that there is nothing special about the umbrella alone, but I think the subject behind the umbrella is pretty dang cute.......And that moves me!!!!!! I think it's a keeper.
Look what reading the manual can do for you!!!

Another assignment was to read our manuals. I did, and look, I know how to shoot in black and white now. We took a drive out to Star and the girls and I played in the car while the boys shot their guns.
8 comments:
wow celeste! i love your pics...and i can actually be pretty darn critical of picture taking. what kind of camera do you have? did you get an SLR? i'm hoping to someday get one of those, and to, like you, take some photography classes. i really miss taking pics. :(
Celeste,
Despite his stupid comment, I personally enjoy ALL the umbrella pictures! They are looking great. It is yet another thing that becomes addicting!!! They are looking great. I will get a blog started.....
These look great! Sarah IS quite photogenic- my fav is the bottom right. Sweet. Make that collage into a Costco poster:)
NICE. You ARE a photographer! And determining the value of a photo based on the "movements" of one man is stupid. What moves one person, may not move another. If it is a class in skill and picture taking techniques, then the critique should be based on the composition, lighting, depth, etc. If you want to critique content and "emotion" then it should be in the form of intelligent discussion, instead of the whims of of an individual. After 4 years of art school critiques, I could vent about this for hours.
THe photos look super good Celeste! Keep it up. I really enjoyed your use of depth of field on the berry pics and the red sock! You have a good eye for composition. I look forward to seeing more.
I am no a photographer, but in my opinion your pictures are fantastic!!! I love the red contrast in your pictures. My fav are Sarha's Love. Mom
your photography class sounds so fun and scary! your pictures look amazing! Sarah is such a good little model. I love the lower right picture of her with the umbrella. Any chance you want to photograph Ava? :)
Where are you taking classes? i am looking for a photo class too! I need how to use our camera!
What?! Before I even read your description, the first thing I thought when I saw the umbrella pictures was WOW! That is soooo good! I think it's very creative and makes me want to get a new camera! (Maybe for my bday--I will have to hint to Tim)
Post a Comment