Day's Gone By
Last night was the big Spaghetti dinner/fundraiser at our church. I marked my calendar for this one in advance and had full intentions of going. A night where I don't have to make dinner is an exciting one! I spent my dinner-making time with the kids, half watching a movie and dedicating the rest of my attention to a shutterfly book I was working on. It was wonderful spending time with them without the pressure of the dinner making job! 5:30 came around, Scott walked in the door looking miserable! HE WAS SICK ON MY, "NO MAKING DINNER NIGHT." I briefly considered taking the kids solo, but as the time to go got closer, their tempers started to flare! (We normally have dinner by 6, so they were starving).
6:28, all three children were on the ground in tears over silly things (I believe a fight broke out over coloring pages being damaged, but I am still not quite sure, as the crying was so loud I did not understand every word). Not willing to take three cranky children alone, DINNER PLANS FOILED! Not having anything ready for dinner, I quickly threw some frozen taquitos in the microwave and added some yogurt to the kids plates to make me feel like we were being a little healthy. We quickly ate our last minute meal, I ordered Scott back to bed and I headed out the door with the kids. I had an hour to kill before bed time and since we missed the dinner, I had to do something. we got on our bikes and I told Caden he could lead the way and take us wherever he wanted to go. After a long ride, we ended up at his school. We rode all around the school. we got off our bikes and Caden told me all about the playground and where he and his friends play and what they do. He took me to the field and got down on his belly and said, "mom, this is what me and Jake and Zach do when we play military, we lay down right here...." he rolled around on the ground a bit. We went over to the track and even rode around it a few times and he told me about the running program he is doing and the foot tokens he has earned. It was so fun walking around with Caden at his school, where he spends so much of his time. It made me feel like I was more a part of his day-to -day. We rode back home, the weather was beautiful, the kids were SO HAPPY. It was the perfect end to our day, a day like so many that just pass by so quickly. In the end, no regrets. I'm sure another Spaghetti dinner will come around.
2 comments:
Way to save the day! I love the new picture of your kids on the top of the blog. It's beautiful!
You're so cute Celeste! I loved reading this. The picture you painted of the kids having complete meltdowns because of the hunger bug really hit home and was so comical!
Post a Comment