Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas eve traditions


Normally, we put out the cookies for Santa on Christmas eve, but we made cookies on Monday for FHE and my cute little kids wanted to put them out right away. I, of course, let them, sure that Santa wouldn't mind a stale cookie from two adorable children. I DID make them wait to put out the milk despite their (mostly I mean Caden) begging! I think Caden asked every day, "is it time to put the milk out"?



I love traditions. I think it is what makes celebrations so special. It is especially fun when you have cute kids to create them with. Caden is especially fond of traditions in our family. Here is how we traditionally spend our Christmas eve. This is a time when we try to do things with just our kids.
We always make fun cookies. The kids are very involved in the process. Here is Sarah cutting up the cherries for the chocolate cookies.


Here are the yummy results before we deliver them t the neighbors.
In the past we have also gone to Grandmas house during the day to have shrimp stuff, but since Grandma was gone, I made a shrimp Fettuccine dinner. Caden loves shrimp so he was excited.


Hannah tried out the shrimp and didn't think it was too bad.

Caden couldn't get enough! He didn't like the noodles, but he wanted us to keep the shrimp coming.



Sarah, on the other hand, didn't want anything to do with the shrimp. She sweet talked Daddy into spoon feeding her the noodles, and she thought that was quite funny.


We always have fun snacks, watch a movie and play games together in the evening. Sarah decided that we needed root beer floats for that! ( a tradition our family uses for ANY event. We love root beer floats).

We cuddled up on the couch and watched Joy to the World with our Root beer floats and muddy buddies.



Then the kids always get to open up one gift, which is always a game, and we play game together til bed time. This year they got marble works which was a big hit! It was so fun to see them play. Even Hannah really got into it.


We had the most wonderful day and I am so grateful that I had my cute family to share it with.

3 comments:

Stylin' Binder's said...

I love marble works it reminds of when i was a kid! Where did you get that?

jenn said...

So much fun! Thanks for sharing your traditions.. it's so much fun to hear. I love how all the girls had matching dresses. too cute!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

That looks like a yummy tradition. Your neighbors must love it. My sister-in-law also makes shrimp on Christmas Eve. I was surprised to find out that your family does that too. Is there some meaning behind the tradition other than good food?