Friday, January 16, 2009

The dreaded call!!!!
It took til my third kid before we experienced the dreaded, accidental,911 call. I've heard many stories, and thought, "oh, that won't happen here". But leave it up to my mischievous, yet completely adorable, little Hannah to break our good luck.
I was checking my email and Hannah got the phone and started playing with it (you know, the kind of thing your kids do when you don't pay full attention to them). Even in my preoccupied state, I could hear the pressing of buttons, but of course, I chose to ignore it. I was just about done. Then I heard ringing out. she had called someone, and put it on speaker phone!! I quickly hung up, but not soon enough to hear "9-1....." My finger was already pushing the button and they were gone. Could that have been 9-1-1? Of course it was. Does anyone else ever answer the phone by first saying 9? Maybe I should have stayed on the phone and explained! A few minutes later the phone rang. Caller ID confirmed my fears. I answer. Voice on the other end , "9-1-1 emergency, we got a call, is everything okay there"?
We'll have to keep phones higher and out of reach.
It could have been worse. At least I wasn't in the shower and greeted by firemen who had to break down the door!

6 comments:

Daniel and Dawn said...

Ha ha ha , that's me laugh out loud and out of control. Still giggle. I remeber when I did that with my friend Katie in like 4th or 5th grade. Her sister was being a baby and we threatened to call 911 to come get her. We picked up the reciver, pushed the hang up button so she couldn't see & dialed 911, to our surprise it rang! We hung up, looked at each other and the phone rang. Same thing as yours, but they told us to stop messing around or they'd call our parents!

Funny, funny story Celeste. Oh my...I'm laughing again! God times, good times! Love it.

Daniel and Dawn said...

That should say GOOD times, good times, sorry it skipped an O on the first good. Sorry, so sorry

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

What are the chances that she would get the right combo of numbers to dial 911. Too funny! Kids can get into trouble so fast. Today I was busy on the computer and I knew Liz was looking through my purse, but didn't think she could get into too much trouble. I looked down a minute later to see a piece of gum, wrapper and all, sticking out of her mouth. I pulled it out and another piece popped out of her mouth, then another. Then I realized she had even more pieces in her mouth. Five pieces of gum came out of her tiny mouth! She looked like a Pez dispenser.
You were right about Head Start. I have a degree in Family and Human studies and I worked for Head Start right before we went to Ecuador. Then after my mission I went back to school and became a hygienist.

jenvalko said...

Yay! It happened to you! Did you know that literally happened to my aunt--the fireman broke down the door when she was in the shower??? No lie!

Chris and Mel said...

oh, that;s awesome! happy to say we haven't experienced that...yet.

J and A said...

Definitely an embarrassing mom moment! Although, it's better than YOU having to call 9-1-1 for someone in your home. That's no fun at all. We had to do that once. :)